Six Things Sunday

Sunday 13 September 2015

I have been slightly under the weather this week with a cold but tried to be a trooper and carry on working on my freelancing and training as best I can. I don't normally get poorly unless I am run down so have probably been a bit too hard on myself recently. But this post is not the time to chat about that as it is all about the positive things I have done, liked or enjoyed this week ... remember? 
I wanted to do a bit more exercise this week and go for a run or swim but with deadlines, work and having a cold this will have to be delayed until next week as I really miss working out. Plus it gives me time to sort out a proper running playlist (something I have been meaning to do for months). Speaking of music, my day was made on Saturday when a lovely girl approached me on the train as "she just had to talk to me" about Taylor Swift as I was listening (clearly loudly as she heard) to her album and we ended up a have little chit chat about Taylor Swift and her music. I really admired her for approaching me, a total stranger, because she really wanted to have a chat. Many people on trains or buses don't tend to speak to each other now and either stick on their headphones, stuck in a book or are glued to their phones working their way through social media (I am a victim of this) but there have been a few times when I have wanted to approach people about what they are reading or discussing with someone else. So, maybe next time I think about doing this, I should because it could make someones day to have a friendly chat with a stranger. She made a tough day that little bit brighter! 
I'm still working on finding a new look for the blog which I am hoping to sort out ready for a little make over for next month so keep baring with me and enjoying the posts! 
Let me know what you have been up this week and what positive little moments you've had in the comments below.

1. SELLING MY DESIGNS
I still can't believe that three of my designs were sold this week! I cannot share the designs or the company name they sold to online as of yet due to copyright and legal reasons but be sure to hear my screams from the roof tops when/if I can. I hadn't sold anything since March when the first floral design I did got sold to Nike in New York and so I began to lose a lot of confidence in myself as a designer which, when it means so much to you, can be hard because that lack of confidence sometimes stopped me pushing myself or even wanting to design for the fear of sucking at it. As a relatively new designer who is still learning, trying to push my own boundaries and "find my style" to sell three designs in one meeting to a big client was the most amazing feeling, especially when they were all hand drawn and a lot of effort went in to making them the best they could be. I couldn't wait to tell those close to me as they knew how much getting that good news email meant to me. I know this is all cheesy and a bit mushy but after a whirlwind of a year it really was the best news. How will I celebrate you ask? Probably with a either a Starbucks, a new lipstick or maybe a splash out on some new Doc Martins!

2. BEING MORE ORGANISED
Being someone who likes routines and being organised I love making lists, especially if its in a pretty Paperchase notebook. I don't have much of a routine at the moment but I have made a point of getting back to making lists and planning each day rather than constantly thinking of what I have to do and it all swimming around in my head. I work much better when it is all in front of me and I can tick it off.
I decided to make an attempt of making my own budget planner. I know a few people use Excel to budget as you can use formulas that calculate everything, but I am pretty clueless when it comes to the program (and formulas) so made my own one on Photoshop to print out each month and write on. I always tell myself I am going to stick to writing daily or weekly lists and budget plans then slip of the track but this time I not only want to mean it, I have to in order to stay organised and for my little brain to function with so many things going on and things I am wanting to do. Having to do lists will hopefully mean I utilise my days off more too and get a good routine going.

3. HAVING A SKIN CARE ROUTINE
Just like how I say I'm going to stick to making lists, I always say I am going to make more of an effort with my skincare routine. This week I actually have, just with the poor exception of failing to drink more water. Using the Clarins Daily Energizer Collection every morning and night I cleanse, tone and moisturise. And, twice a week, I have been exfoliating using a sample of Clarins Gentle Refiner Exfoliating Cream with Microbeads which leaves your skin feeling soft and free of dirt whilst evening out some redness. I have been using Clarins for my skincare for at least three years now and I rely on the brand so much to keep my skin feeling fresh and healthy. I notice a huge difference when I use a different cleanser or moisturiser from another brand. After using the Daily Energizer Collection for so many years I do think I will look in to using a different Clarins collection soon as my skin is now needing different things. I also use the Body Shop Muslin Cloth every morning which I think makes my skin feel softer and fresher ready for the day and preps your skin better for make up. I can't recommend all of the above enough.

4. GIVING
This week I found found myself trying to be more giving and charitable. I saw a lovely man officially campaigning for Cancer Research UK whilst running errands in town so gave him all my spare change and had a little chat. And, in another shop, put my change in the Cancer Research UK bucket. Every little helps!
I also donated a lot of old fashion, textile and art books to the college I studied at which was received with lots of thanks and appreciation. Hopefully they come in handy for all those studying fashion and textiles there just like I did back in the day.
I like doing little bits for charity when I can and it makes me wonder what else I can do. Maybe not another half marathon just yet but it made me think about potentially giving a monthly donation to a charity that is close to my heart. Do you donate to a charity each month?
Plus, I have been trying to comment more on other peoples blog posts I have enjoyed reading and / or related to. It is always nice to know when someone has read your post and enjoyed it or taken something positive from it and feels better. I know a few people I have messaged have appreciated me saying so.

5. ENJOYING AUTUMN AT STARBUCKS
I couldn't resist treating myself to a Starbucks on the way to work the other day. I love it when a new season comes along because I can rely on Starbucks to bring back my favourite drinks or new ones I have to try. They've brought back the Pumpkin Spiced Latte for Autumn which is one of my favourites. It's warm, sweet and just 100% delicious! I'm really keen to try out their Pumpkin Spiced Loaf Cake, so maybe all things Pumpkin is becoming a new thing for me?

6. ENJOYING WEEKLY AUTUMN TV
For a few years now I tend to say every year "no I am NOT getting in to the X Factor this year, I don't want to get addicted" and I said it this year also which was responded by people giving me shocked looks as if to say "why not, you'll miss out stupid". But I failed ... It happened ... I watched it! Darn you Simon for shaking up the judging panel and also having my only favourite contestant, Olly Murs, as a presenter. I prefer to watch it with people so you can chat about how good or bad people were and have a good laugh at the stupid parts they add in just for entertainment. Good job I like to spend Saturday nights in these days!
The Great British Bake off is my mid-week treat which is getting quite funny due to the mix of characters the contestants are this year. And who doesn't love a slice of Mary, Paul, Mel and Sue? I really need to do some baking!
And now I have one of my favourite TV shows back on the box which brings me such delight. I am, of course, talking about Gogglebox! To watch this with a cheeky pizza on a Friday night was a religion back in Nottingham and one that must continue this year! This programme makes me laugh so much with the crazy characters and banter between them all. I like to analysis and question a lot of the shows I watch too so I enjoy watching others do it. Which one is your TV show this Autumn favourite?

- Speak soon, Lisa Jayne X

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Such beautiful captured images and inspiring writing :) Just found your blog and cannot wait to read more

    organicallyolive.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia,

    Thank you so much this made me smile and has made my day. What lovely feedback! I'm glad to have you as a reader. More is on the way which hopefully will be interesting :D
    I've had a little look at your blog and love your advice section. I've read a few of the ones I can relate to and think its great you have an advice column! I shall have another read soon.
    X

    ReplyDelete